1. Computing

My Interview for The Podcast at Delphi.org Hosted by Jim McKeeth

By November 23, 2009

in Zarko Gajic :: I have been contacted by Jim McKeeth of the Delphi Podcast at Delphi.org for an interview on my Delphi programming related work. Jim runs the Delphi.org web site and his Delphi podcasts are a "must hear".

The idea for the interview came after my recent Delphi Legends 2009 SILVER Award. A BIG thanks to you, the community, one more time!

The interview took 2 days (2 Skype calls) to be recorded and lasts some 50+ minutes. Jim wanted to know what I think on:

• How to run a Delphi programming web site,
  • Delphi development best practices,
  • Borland / Embarcadero, ...

Go to the podcast to listen to the interview "Jim McKeeth v.s. Zarko Gajic"

Comments
November 23, 2009 at 5:07 am
(1) Ken Knopfli says:

They are a must-hear, but they are embarrasing to listen to.

I wish they were planned better beforehand and edited after. There are so many uh-what-should-I-ask-now pauses. I get a knot in my stomach.

There are perhaps 15min interesting info in over an hour of awkwardness.

November 23, 2009 at 5:16 am
(2) Zarko Gajic says:

@Ken: :( There are also quite a few “uh-what-to-answer-and-how” since I did not knew the questions before the interview and therefore was not able to, so to say, prepare.

November 23, 2009 at 5:47 am
(3) IL says:

May be two versions of podcast be better. One cutted down to questions and answers. Another version – director’s cut :) – the same as of now. So anybody could hear “the kitchen” or just listen to Q&A. Questions written in text very useful also. Anyway have fun!

November 23, 2009 at 7:18 am
(4) Ken Knopfli says:

@Zarko – no, it’s not you. It’s ALL the interviews at that site. I do get value out of them, but I agree with IL – they could have a cut-town version with the relevant stuff and with the pauses removed.

November 23, 2009 at 12:24 pm
(5) Jim McKeeth says:

@Ken & @IL Some of the first episodes I was editing down significatnly, removing all the akward pauses and such, but it took a long time. Some of the feed back I got, and what I was reading elsewhere about podcasts and interviews in general suggested that the more raw format was preferred. Plus now I have some time to see my kids again.

As it is I still spend a few hours after the fact editing and cleaning the audio. I’ll see what I can do to find a better balance though. My preference would be for a much tighter format, so it is a balance I guess.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Jim

November 23, 2009 at 3:29 pm
(6) IL says:

@Jim, thank you for your work! Pleace don’t take our wishes too seriuosly. Of course time spent for your family is preferable.
And often it is very nice and teaching to get “under the hood” of the thing and look and hear how was it done. I remember your blog-post about hardware you use for recordings. Still trying to find Clearchat Comfort headset but I am on my way for it :)
And there are more funny moments in the unedited stuff!
So thank you both @Jim and @Zarko!
I think thorough list of questions could be useful in case of search when you don’t exactly remember the origin podcast.

November 23, 2009 at 4:08 pm
(7) RichardS says:

I wonder if a co-host would help? Then one person can be preparing their next question while the other is talking to the guest. It works quite well for .NET Rocks, StartUp Success, all of the Twit podcasts…

Just an idea… but please don’t be disheartened Jim. The Delphi community is a better place for your efforts.

November 24, 2009 at 4:23 am
(8) Ken Knopfli says:

@Jim – I second what IL said!

But perhaps preparing a set of guide questions/subjects before you start? By all means, if it’s rolling, let it roll. But when a thread runs out, you have your list to come back to.

November 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm
(9) Chris says:

Zarko,
I think it was a very interesting interview (technical difficulties aside). I am frequent visitor to your site and I found your tips very helpful.
One thing in the interview, which really caught my interest, was when you mentioned about dividing business logic and presentation layer. I developed mostly database application, and in Delphi it is difficult to find good examples that show you how to actually do it. In Java it comes more natural, in Delphi it is more difficult. Would you able to share some simple classes/examples how to properly write application with database access with logic and GUI separately.
Thank you for the great site and terrific newsletter.

November 26, 2009 at 6:01 am
(10) Lubomir says:

@ all
Guys, take it easy. Letís say a BIG thank you Jim and thank you Zarko instead of complaining. They used two days of their time and it took them two Skype sessions just to bring the kitchen of delphi.about.com for free to you and you donít like it? They have sacrificed their free time and families to give you a 50 minutes raw session and you canít use 50 minutes of your time to listen to it without whining. Come-on, give me a break. This is the kitchen and this is the raw material. You make what you want out of this, but if you are unable to select and pickup whatís relevant to you then you need a brain replacement.

@ Jim & Zarko.
You guys are doing great. Keep up the good work.
A big, big thank you from me.
Lubomir

November 26, 2009 at 11:32 am
(11) Jim McKeeth says:

I am fine, and appreciate the good feedback. It is good to know that you enjoy the interview and get value out of it, but I also like the feedback on how to make it better.

It actually gave me a good idea actually. I’ll let you all know the details soon. The podcast is for the community, so I need to know how to make it better for the community. Hope you all are having a great Thanksgiving (if you are celebrating it). If not, I will eat some turkey for you!

December 30, 2009 at 3:25 am
(12) bernhard says:

the delphi about page is excellent,
you only suffer on the weak performance on the delphi roadmap. we need delphi 64 bit and a string multi core support now